Everything You Don't See at Home During Today's Olympics Broadcast

PEOPLE.com | 2/14/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/today-show-1.jpg?crop=0px,189px,2000px,1051px&resize=1200,630

Hoda Kotb really does dance that much, the crowd really does cheer that much and everyone really, really does love Chloe Kim.

These are just a few of the lessons learned while PEOPLE spent a few hours backstage on Tuesday at the Today show during its two weeks broadcasting from Pyeongchang, South Korea, for the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Viewers - Home - Miss - Front - TV

What else do the viewers at home miss from in front of their TV screens instead of behind the cameras on set?

Read on.

Monday - Feb - Work - Weeks - Hours

From Monday to Feb. 23, or two full work weeks, the first two hours of Today have decamped from New York City to a temporary studio in the heart of the coastal venues at the PyeongChang Games, feet away from the curling, hockey and skating competitions.

The space — a glassed-in kind of half-moon stuffed with people and lights — is also open-air, as the Today production is constantly on the move, going inside and out. In South Korea, that means learning to cope with the below-freezing temperatures and at times biting wind.

Co-anchors - Savannah - Guthrie - Thick - Coat

But don’t worry: Co-anchors Savannah Guthrie (who slipped on a thick, fur-collared coat just before the show) and Kotb kept warm behind their desk with a bank of hidden heaters.

In fact, it could have probably been a little colder on Tuesday night, when temperatures did not dip as low as the week before. Today‘s weather anchor Al Roker joked with PEOPLE that he “feels almost disappointed.”

Canada - Goose - Jacket

“I have my Canada Goose [jacket] and I haven’t been able to wear it yet!” he said.

The wind may have been listening in: Later in the broadcast, after something was apparently blown to the ground with a crash, a crew member called out, “Hey Al, that monitor you’ve been using? Forget it.”

Korea - Time - Difference - East - Coast

Korea’s 14-hour time difference ahead of the East Coast means each morning’s Today is actually...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!