Married U.S. Figure Skaters Will Celebrate Valentine’s Day by Trying to Win Olympic Gold

Breitbart | 2/13/2018 | Staff
tiffcourt011 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/02/GTY-Richard-Heathcote.png

Whatever you’ve got planned for Valentine’s Day, American figure skaters Alexa Scimeca Knierim and her husband Chris Knierim, have you beat.

The pair, who began skating together in 2012 and were married by their coach in a skating-themed wedding four years later, bring a story of redemption and reclamation to the 2018 games.

Storybook - Romance - Career - Interruption - Difficulty

While their storybook romance might suggest that the two merely continued their skating career without interruption or difficulty after getting married, that’s far from the truth. In 2016, Alexa was diagnosed with a rare and potentially fatal gastrointestinal illness. She lost a significant amount of weight, dropping down to 80 pounds. The illness left Chris in the rare position of feeling helpless and powerless.

“I can lift her, throw her, catch her. But there was nothing that I could do to help her, even though that’s all I wanted to do,” Chris told NBC in an emotional interview.

Alexa - Health - Pair - Months - Training

Though Alexa’s health eventually returned, the pair missed eight months of training time while she fought the illness. However,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!