What’s not quite fine about Barack Obama’s portrait

Conservative Firing Line | 2/13/2018 | Staff
urbanagirl3 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://conservativefiringline.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Obama-US-needs-to-keep-fighting-War-on-Poverty.jpg

Click For Photo: https://conservativefiringline.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Obama-US-needs-to-keep-fighting-War-on-Poverty-1200x630.jpg

I found it refreshing this morning to read J.E. Dyer’s defense of the official portrait of Michelle Obama against the many nitpickers who found something to complain about.

I was actually prepared to offer up a defense of the portrait of her husband as well, or at least of Kehinde Wiley, the artist who painted it. I had seen all the scuttlebutt surrounding his fondness for painting black women holding a sword in one hand and a a severed head in the other.

And/or - Dozen - Books - Art - Life

Having co-authored and/or edited some dozen books on fine art in a previous life, I assumed the subject of the work might be the biblical story of Judith luring to her tent and beheading Holofernes, King Nebuchadnezzar’s Jew-murdering general. This subject matter has been grist for numerous paintings throughout the history of western art.

Sure enough, when I dug a little further I determined that that was indeed the topic of Wiley’s painting. I also uncovered this:

Kehinde - Wiley - Portraits - Likes - John

[Kehinde Wiley is] known for taking instantly recognisable portraits by the likes of John Singer Sargent or Jacques-Louis David and reimagining them to reflect contemporary African American icons.

Then I noticed a detail that initially escaped my attention. As this tweet observes, in Wiley’s take on the biblical story, the head of Holofernes is that of a white woman.

Jo'Nella - Queen - Poet - Activist - Analysis

Jo’Nella Queen, a self-styled poet and activist, offers this analysis of the painting:

This art piece “Judith Beheading Holofernes,” 2012, Kehinde Wiley, places Women of Color, specifically a Black woman in a position of power (and majesty). This is so important because of the racism and sexism that Women of Color have historically and continue to face [sic] today. (Not to mention other...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Conservative Firing Line
Wake Up To Breaking News!
You can never use the word unexpected when it comes to abuse of power by the government.