Why Valentine's Day sex could become a dangerous liaison: Greater risk of contracting a DEADLY disease that is antibiotic resistant, warns scientist

Mail Online | 2/12/2018 | Stephen Matthews For Mailonline
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/02/12/16/4923B60400000578-0-image-a-19_1518452379098.jpg

Contracting a sexually transmitted infection (STI) could be deadly this Valentine's Day, warns an expert.

Dr Tina Joshi, a lecturer in molecular microbiology at Plymouth University, spoke of the emerging threat of antibiotic resistance.

Drugs - Bugs - Gonorrhoea

Unnecessarily dishing out the drugs is making bugs that could once be easily cured, such as gonorrhoea, become untreatable.

Antibiotic resistance, considered on par with terrorism and global warming, could kill more people than cancer in the next 30 years, she warned.

Dr - Joshi - 'It - Valentine - Day

Dr Joshi said: 'It’s Valentine’s Day and I’m not telling anyone not to go and have fun.

'But beware that those dangerous liaisons might be more dangerous than initially thought if you don’t use protection and understand the antimicrobial resistance threat facing all of us.'

Sex - Nothing - Society - People

She added: 'Unprotected sex is nothing new in our society. People think "what’s the worst that could happen?"

'Without antibiotics, sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis, which are caused by bacteria, wouldn’t be treatable.

STIs - Meaning

'Even worse, STIs often go undiagnosed meaning they don’t get treated until it’s too late.'

Her warnings follow the emergence of a drug-resistant strain of gonorrhoea that has prompted concerns across the planet.

World - Health - Organization - WHO - Warning

The World Health Organization (WHO) issued a warning about 'super gonorrhoea' last July. It said millions of lives were at risk.

At the time, just three people across the world were confirmed to have it - but a more recent report shows it has struck 50 countries.

Public - Health - England - Figures - STI

Public Health England figures reveal that 420,000 STI diagnoses were made in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!