Were YOU bullied by your brother or sister growing up? You're 3 times more likely to develop a psychotic illness such as schizophrenia

Mail Online | 2/12/2018 | Victoria Allen Science Correspondent For The Daily Mail
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/02/12/18/4924824F00000578-0-image-a-27_1518459010766.jpg

People bullied by their siblings during childhood are up to three times more likely to develop a psychotic illness.

A study suggests children picked on by their brothers and sisters end up traumatised as adults.

Children - Bullies - Families - Girls - Victims

Eldest children are the most likely bullies within families, with girls most likely to be victims. Parents often believe the behaviour is normal and that their children will outgrow it.

But researchers led by Warwick University say being bullied at home means there is no ‘safe space’ to escape the torment.

Children - Victim - Times - Week - Month

Children who fall victim to sibling bullying several times a week or month are two to three times more likely to develop a psychotic disorder such as schizophrenia compared to other children.

For those bullied both at home and in school, their odds are four times as high.

Findings - Analysis - Children - Symptoms

The findings are based on analysis of almost 3,600 British children questioned about bullying aged 12 and about psychotic symptoms aged 18.

Senior author Professor Dieter Wolke, from the University of Warwick’s Department of Psychology, said: ‘Bullying by siblings has been until recently widely ignored as a trauma that may lead to serious mental health problems such as psychotic disorder.

Evidence - Shows - Children - Times - Week

Previous evidence shows children bullied several times a week by their siblings in middle childhood are twice as likely to suffer depression and self-harm.

But...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .