Pastoral is Political: The Talk

RevGalBlogPals | 2/12/2018 | Staff
tiazanne (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/148117_5266_full.jpg

There it was, out of the blue, I mean, I maybe should have seen it coming, but didn’t. I can’t explain it, all the signs were there.

Last week I was catching up on Grey’s Anatomy, a show many have abandoned over it’s forteen seasons, but one I still watch. If you watch it too, you probably know exactly what I’m talking about.

Jesus - Name - Episode - Ride - Violence

“Personal Jesus” was the name of the episode. It was a rollercoaster ride of domestic violence, religious questions and answers and authority and “how do you know?”, and last but certainly not least: a shooting of a 12 year old boy “breaking” into his own house because he forgot his key.

Shonda Rhimes, creator and producer the show does not shy away from tough issues. Neither does this writer Zoanne Clack or director by Kevin Rodney Sullivan. The actors of the show have been outspoken on all sort of subjects and leaders in the Black Lives Matter and #MeToo movements.

Anything - End - Episode - Talk - Parents

Without giving anything away, at the end of the episode there is “The Talk” from black parents to their black son, he is 13years old. Take a moment and watch.

I cried. I cried as a mother who helps raise both a white son and a black son. I cried because we will have to have this very talk with one of those sons, only instead of “your white friends”, it will be not only your friends, but also “your brother”. I cried because parents of black kids have to have this talk. I cried because our worst nightmares might happen anyway.

Thirteen - Twelve - Talk - Husband - Thing

I also cried because I’m afraid thirteen or twelve is too old to have this talk. I cried because my husband and I will have to start younger. I cried because we am not alone, nor is this a new thing.

We...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: