The Joyful Life of a Pastor’s Wife
Eight Great Ways to Turn Your Teen Away from God

SBC Today | 2/12/2018 | Staff
xhelloworld (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://sbctoday.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Teen-Running-Away.jpg

Life for my 15 and 13 year old sons is so different than it was when I was a teenager. I’ve tried to explain to them how when I was their age, the only phone someone could use when away from home required a quarter. How personal computers weren’t connected to other computers because there was no internet. And how television had only…gulp…three channels.

“Why would anyone want to live like that, Mom?” my John once asked.

Generation - X - Generation - Z - Alien

Sometimes my Generation X looks at their Generation Z like an alien species… and they do the same in reverse. But by studying Scripture, observing other parents, and learning from my own mistakes, I’m growing in my knowledge of how to shepherd this curious creature known as a modern teenager.

Fuss about church in front of her. The pastor’s sermons are too long. There isn’t enough variety at the church potlucks. And the sanctuary feels like a sauna with the thermostat set so high.

Everyone - Things - Church - Parents - Teen

Everyone is unhappy with things at church sometimes. But parents who hope to keep their teen’s eyes turned toward the Lord must avoid “wallowing” in the minutia of petty gripes. Sure, it’s tempting: our kids are a captive audience in the backseat of the car or at the dinner table. But each time we grumble within earshot of our teen, we feed her just a bit more poison. Folks at church will probably never hear our frustrations… but our teen will hear every word and learn to despise the place.

On a more serious note, when we become so unhappy that we can no longer let complaints roll off our back, it’s time to go. Staying too long at a church where the family is perpetually displeased with the preaching, doctrine, fellowship, or expenditure of funds is devastating to the spiritual health of teenagers....
(Excerpt) Read more at: SBC Today
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" Luke 18:8
Tagged: