Lord, Set Me Free from Fear

Desiring God | 2/12/2018 | Jon Bloom
jenn1020 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/lord-set-me-free-from-fear-agllaekw-en/landscape/lord-set-me-free-from-fear-agllaekw-a2402f58207eb649309e8ec6cea54c3d.jpg?ts=1518120081&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

On Thursday night, Peter said to the One he knew was “the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Matthew 16:16), “Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!” (Matthew 26:35). Then, in the wee hours of Friday morning, Peter said to a couple of servant girls he didn’t know at all, “I do not know the man” (Matthew 26:69–72).

What in the world happened to Peter that made him do exactly what he swore he would not do? Fear happened to Peter.

Weeks - Peter - Front - Sanhedrin - Sanhedrin

Then, just a few weeks later, Peter found himself in front of the Sanhedrin — the same Sanhedrin that had terrified him the night of Jesus’s trial — and instead of denials, out of his mouth came these words: “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge, for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard” (Acts 4:19–20).

What in the world happened to Peter that suddenly made him so bold? Faith happened to Peter.

Peter - Match - Crippling - Fear - Danger

Like Peter, we too are no match for the crippling fear that will seize us when faced with potential or real danger, if we only see things with the eyes of our flesh. In fact, we’ll tend to be easily intimidated by all sorts of things. But if by the power of the Holy Spirit, we see with the eyes of faith, we’ll see things as they really are and our fears will melt away.

That power, which freed Peter from fear and fueled his boldness, is available to every Christian. It is ours for the asking, and ours for the taking.

Everything - God - Fear - Purpose - Fear

Like everything God made, fear is very good when it functions according to its intended purpose. Fear is designed to keep us away from dangerous things. When...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
2KXVI
Tagged: