What's the Difference Between Ice Dancing and Figure Skating? Olympian Evan Bates Explains

PEOPLE.com | 2/10/2018 | Staff
aniki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/madison-chock-2.jpg?crop=0px,0px,2000px,1051px&resize=1200,630

The Winter Olympics are here and buzz surrounding the worldwide competition is heating up.

For many fans, figure skating events are an Olympic highlight, but every four years many people seem to have the same question: What’s the difference between figure skating and ice dancing?

Answer - Ice - Falls - Category - Figure

The short answer is that ice dancing falls under the broader umbrella category of figure skating.

Leading up to the PyeongChang Olympics, PEOPLE sat down with 2018 Olympic ice dancer Evan Bates, whose partner is Madison Chock, to clarify some of the differences between figure skating and ice dancing.

Ice - Dancing - Restrictions - Evan - Bates

“Ice dancing has more restrictions,” Evan Bates explained to PEOPLE. “We can only do lifts that are below the head so I can’t raise my hands above my head, which is a really easy distinction when you’re trying to differentiate between pairs and ice dancing.”

According to Shape.com, ice dancing places more importance on having a graceful and entertaining routine compared to figure skating, which focuses more on jumps, lifts and spins. Figure skaters are scored based on connecting their footwork for all of their...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.