Ron Howard: A Star Wars Story  —  Why the Oscar-winner joined Solo in its time of upheaval

EW.com | 2/9/2018 | Staff
megzmegz123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/solo-19.jpg?crop=3px,111px,2695px,1415px&resize=1200,630

To read more on Solo: A Star Wars Story, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday, or buy it here now. Don’t forget to subscribe for more exclusive interviews and photos, only in EW.

Summer, 1972:

Ron - Howard - Years - Fame - Role

Ron Howard is 18 years old, hoping to shed some of his cute-kid fame with a slightly more grown up role in a coming-of-age movie about cars, young love, and rock ‘n’ roll.

Opie from The Andy Griffith Show has big ideas. Maybe he’ll be a filmmaker someday himself. Maybe.

People - Cast - Film - Actors - Richard

He’s one of the only well-known people in the cast of this little film, which also includes actors Richard Dreyfuss, Cindy Williams, Kathleen Quinlan, Charles Martin Smith, Suzanne Somers, and some guy in a cowboy hat named Harrison Ford.

At this point, nobody is anybody. Not even the writer-director, a skinny, quiet, bearded guy named George. George has only a small, avant-garde sci-fi film in his filmography. Everybody’s just starting out.

Front - Mel - Diner - American - Graffiti

“I remember standing in front of Mel’s Diner doing American Graffiti, about midway through our shoot, and George Lucas didn’t ever say much, and he was so overwhelmed by that project, and we were shooting nights, and everybody was sleepy,” Howard recalls now. “He was not a chatty guy. But I was having a great experience working on it. He and I had already made a connection because I had been accepted to USC Film School, which is George’s alma mater, and I spent a lot of time talking to him about THX 1138 and movies, and where they were going, and so forth.”

During that break in filming, in the middle of the night, in the middle of summer, surrounded by vintage cars outside a San Francisco diner that has literally been “retro”-fitted, Howard receives a vision of the future.

“I said, well, do you know...
(Excerpt) Read more at: EW.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!