Peter Bart: Media Consolidation Leaves Room For Billionaires Club Members Like Ted Field

Deadline | 2/9/2018 | Peter Bart
Click For Photo: https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/hollywood-sign.jpg?w=605

at that game.

The billionaires’ club isn’t entirely new. I met the pioneer of the tribe in 1981 and I admired his candor. He told me he’d financed two indie pictures, had quickly blown $4 million, and didn’t appreciate the fact that Hollywood was telling him to go home. But he didn’t. In fact his name now adorns the credits of films ranging from a giant hit, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, to the indie Beirut, plus a new Sony TV series in which women rule the world, a new urban Verizon TV channel, and a range of development deals at various studios.

Age - Ted - Field - Set - Rules

At age 65, Ted Field is playing (and winning) by a different set of rules. Unlike most new members of the billionaire band, he is religious about never putting up his own money to finance a film. But he’s also a proficient buyer of high-profile books and scripts – his library of intellectual property exceeds 400 projects. Field also adamantly insists he is not a billionaire, and never has been, but admits he was born (very) rich – heir to Chicago’s Marshall Field department stores.

Realizing he’d become a marked man, Field zealously avoided media attention through his Hollywood years, but was unable to hide from some high-profile deals and lawsuits. He was a big player in the music business, founding Interscope Records with Jimmy Iovine (Dr Dre and U2 were among the artists). A doomed movie titled Kickboxer imploded in a maze of litigation, triggering one media report that he was broke. “This is a Darwinian business,” Field professes. “That’s probably one reason I like it.”

Projects - Excitement - Company - Radar - Films

His current projects fuel his excitement. His company, Radar Films, was involved in acquiring the film rights to Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg, earning him executive producer credit and a profit participation on the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Deadline
Wake Up To Breaking News!