Mirage in the desert: The abandoned Spaghetti Western movie sets still littered across the Spanish countryside that Hollywood left behind 50 years ago

Mail Online | 1/27/2018 | Matthew Wright For Dailymail.com
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/27/17/48A3701E00000578-0-image-a-68_1517075494401.jpg

More than 50 years ago, the southeast province of Almeria in Spain was known as Hollywood's go-to destination for Western films.

Throughout the '60s and early '70s, Spain's cheap labor and barren landscapes served as the ideal location for United States studios looking to make films about the Wild West, North Africa and galaxy.

Productions - 'Lawrence - Arabia - Rifles - Cleopatra

Productions like 'Lawrence of Arabia,' '100 Rifles,' Cleopatra,' 'How I Won The War,' and the Clint Eastwood Dollars Trilogy find their homes in the Spanish lands.

These iconic Spaghetti Westerns were filmed at a handful of sites including Fort Bravo/Texas Hollywood, Mini Hollywood, Western Leone and El Condor.

Franco - Regime - Leg - Spain - Economy

As the Franco Regime finished it's last leg in Spain, the economy continued expanding and land prices steadily increased. Government focus soon turned from maintaining the international rapport with America and began focusing on national entertainment.

And with time, the barren sets left behind would become almost ghost town-like in their mystery and appeal to the outside world.

Fort - Bravo/Texas - Hollywood - Set - Mid

The Fort Bravo/Texas Hollywood set was constructed in the mid 1970s under an agreement with Sergio Leone and an Italian producer.

By the time it was completed, however, the film industry in Almería was on the wane.

Stuntman - Rafa - Molina - Site - Visitors

Stuntman Rafa Molina later bought the site for $6,000 and began charging visitors to tour it.

Following the success of A Fistful of Dollars (1964), Sergio Leone commissioned Carlo Simi to construct an entire Western town for the second title in the trilogy, For a Few Dollars More. It would be known as Little Hollywood.

Town - Theme - Park - Stunt - Shows

The town now operates as a Western theme park, with daily stunt shows, can-can dancing,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!