Democrats Change Their Tune On Government Shutdowns

The Daily Signal | 1/22/2018 | Staff
nallynally (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/180122_Shutdownedit.jpg

The federal government’s three-day closure ended with something of a whimper on Monday.

The Senate voted overwhelmingly to reopen the government with a stopgap bill that will fund the government through Feb. 8, according to The New York Times.

Shutdown - World - End - Year - Shutdown

Now that the shutdown has ended (without the world coming to an end), it’s worth comparing this year’s shutdown to what happened last time in 2013.

According to one top-ranking senator, shutting the federal government down over the issue of immigration is a crazy idea.

Immigration - Reform - Caucus - Government - Bills

“I believe in immigration reform,” he said. “What if I persuaded my caucus to say, ‘I’m going to shut the government down, I am going to not pay our bills unless I get my way?’ It’s a politics of idiocy, of confrontation, of paralysis.”

Those aren’t the words of GOP Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. No, that was Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., in a CNN interview with Jake Tapper during the last government shutdown debate in 2013.

Schumer - GOP - Tactics - Taking

Schumer went on to call the GOP’s shutdown tactics “hostage taking.”

The “idiocy” of shutting down the government over something like immigration clearly didn’t stop Schumer from doing so over the Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals (DACA) amnesty program just four years later, despite Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., saying that any such outcome could cause people to die.

Schumer - Democrat - Strategy

And Schumer wasn’t the only Democrat to lambast the shutdown strategy in 2013, only to spearhead it in 2018.

In 2013, Democrats blitzed the media with a narrative that Republicans were holding the country hostage over their pet issues—at the time, funding for Obamacare.

Arsonists - Rep - Nancy - Pelosi - D-Calif

“I call them ‘legislative arsonists’,” Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said at the time. “They’re there to burn down what we should be building up in terms of investments and education and scientific research, and all that it is that makes our country great and competitive.”

Sen. Bernie Sanders,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!
He is faithful!