Tennis: Kyrgios Bows Out Defeated But Wins Over Australia

www.oann.com | 1/21/2018 | Staff
aniki (Posted by) Level 3
MELBOURNE (Reuters) – Nick Kyrgios’s Australian Open ended with a gallant fourth round defeat by an inspired Grigor Dimitrov on Sunday but the maverick talent leaves Melbourne Park after winning over a nation.

A year ago, Kyrgios bowed out of his home grand slam to spectators’ jeers following a tempestuous five-set capitulation to Andreas Seppi in the second round.

Ovation - Rod - Laver - Arena - Crowd

Yet he was given a standing ovation from the Rod Laver Arena crowd after his 7-6(3) 7-6(4) 4-6 7-6(4) loss to third seed Dimitrov, which capped a fruitful home summer including the Brisbane International title.

Australia’s wait for a men’s champion will now stretch to 43 years but Kyrgios’s composure throughout a roller-coaster week will raise fresh hopes among compatriots that the drought may break soon.

Tonight - Players - World - Went - Swinging

“I lost tonight to one of the best players in the world. Went down swinging,” the 22-year-old told reporters.

“Obviously I feel a lot better this time around. Last year I really didn’t know what I was going to do after the Australian Open.

Vision - Goal - Year - Head - Space

“I feel like I have more of a vision and goal for this year. I think I’m in a good head space.

“I just feel like I’m trying to get better. You know, there were periods where I stepped on the court last year where I was just doing it for the sake of doing it.”

Dimitrov

Dimitrov will go into a quarter-final...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.