Sen. Rand Paul explains why he's a 'no' on spending bill

Fox News | 1/18/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://a57.foxnews.com/media2.foxnews.com/BrightCove/694940094001/2018/01/18/0/0/694940094001_5714636654001_5714638785001-vs.jpg?ve=1

Kentucky senator speaks out about government waste on 'Your World.'

This is a rush transcript from "Your World," January 18, 2018. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated.

NEIL - CAVUTO - WORLD - HOST - Right

NEIL CAVUTO, "YOUR WORLD" HOST: All right, if you're keeping up with this spending drama on Capitol Hill, and will we see the government go out of business technically late Friday night or not, we are expecting the House to vote on an interim spending measure to prevent that from happening.

It's very, very dicey in the United States Senate, where we're told -- and Democrats are already crowing about the reality that votes are simply not there.

Number - Votes - Side - Number - Votes

And it's not only the number of no votes on their side, but the number of no votes on the Republican side, including this prominent one, Kentucky Republican Senator Rand Paul.

Senator, good to have you.

SEN - RAND - PAUL - R-KENTUCKY - Thanks

SEN. RAND PAUL, R-KENTUCKY: Thanks, Neil.

CAVUTO: So, you're a no on this. Why?

PAUL - Government - Money - Debt - Year

PAUL: Well, you know, I think government spends too much money. Our debt this year or our deficit this year will be close to $800 billion.

Next year, it's projected to be a trillion. So, for decades now, you have heard of Congress putting spending caps in place, self-imposed rules to try to get spending under control.

Spending - Bill - Caps - Caps - Caps

Well, this spending bill will exceed those caps. One of the caps were called pay-go caps. And we put them in a place a dozen years ago. And I think we have exceeded them, I don't know, 700 times, 29 times in the last couple years.

So, really, if we say we're fiscally conservative, we ought to be fiscally conservative. So I'm just not voting to exceed the spending caps, and I'm not voting for $700 billion deficits annually.

CAVUTO - Right

CAVUTO: All right.

So whatever the House measure ultimately proves to be, they're working on...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Fox News
Wake Up To Breaking News!