The Sound the Word of Christ Makes When Poured

Blog & Mablog | 1/13/2018 | Douglas Wilson
Goobee (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://dougwils.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Exhort-336x225.jpg

One of the things that has characterized our congregational life for several decades now is psalm-singing. We do not hold to what has been called “exclusive psalmody”—where nothing but psalms are sung—but it would be fair to say that we hold to dominant psalmody. We want the Word of Christ to dwell in us richly, as we address one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs (Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16). In the Septuagint—the Greek translation of the Old Testament—the three Greek words that Paul uses there are the words used in the headers to categorize the entire psalter. We believe God wants us to be singing His Word back to Him, and we want to learn to sing all of it.

Jesus was a psalm-singer, and at the Last Supper it is highly likely that what they sang were the Hallel Psalms, which would be Ps. 113-118 (Matt. 26:30). And of course Jesus quoted the psalms from the cross, from “why have you forsaken me,” to “into your hands I commit my spirit.”

Course - Paul - Exhortation - Ephesians - Singing

And of course, we have Paul’s exhortation. In Ephesians, singing is what characterized being filled by means of the Spirit. In Colossians, it is being filled with the Word of Christ. Combining these, it is best understood as the Spirit being the agent who pours, and the Word of Christ being the thing that He pours....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Blog & Mablog
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: