Questioning Evangelism

Jesus Creed | 1/13/2018 | Staff
Kaliela101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-sailboats.jpg

Randy Newman is Senior Teaching Fellow for Apologetics and Evangelism at The C.S. Lewis Institute in Washington D.C. He was on staff for over thirty years in various capacities with Campus Crusade for Christ (now Cru). Randy’s book, Questioning Evangelism: Engaging People’s Hearts the Way Jesus Did frames this interview.

David George Moore conducted the interview. Dave’s work can be found at www.twocities.org and www.mooreengaging.com.

Moore - Years - Jump - Elephant - Room

Moore: Since we’ve known each other for many years, though I would probably do it anyways (!), let’s jump right in with the elephant in the room. Many/most? Christians in America who supposedly believe that Jesus is the only way to know God don’t share the gospel. I know you are quite aware of the various studies that bear out this sad reality. Why do you think this is the case?

Newman: I can think of two reasons right off the bat. The first is that we’re scared. (Note: I include myself in this group. I wouldn’t say I never share the gospel but I don’t evangelize as much as I should). There are a lot of legitimate fears we have. People may reject us. It might open up several cans of worms and it’s hard to feel “ready” for whatever people might ask. The second reason, for some, is that we’ve been told it’s easy. When we try to reach out and find that it’s not as easy for us as it sounds to people like Bill Hybels or Bill Bright, we quit and just say, “I guess I don’t have that gift.”

Moore - Evangelism - Class - Professor - New

Moore: I took an evangelism class in seminary. The professor walked us through the New Testament prayers on evangelism. To our surprise, he said there are only three passages where prayers are explicitly offered for the salvation of the non-Christian (Rom. 10:1; Acts 26:29; and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: