'I tried to heal myself': Grieving Eric Clapton, 72, lived as a recluse in Antigua for a YEAR after his son Conor, four, suffered a fatal 53-storey fall from New York skyscraper

Mail Online | 1/12/2018 | Ekin Karasin For Mailonline
cobra662 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/12/20/4812B39400000578-0-image-a-45_1515790352785.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/01/12/1589482800273076865/1024x576_MP4_1589482800273076865.mp4

He was left distraught when his four-year-old son Conor fell to his death from the 53rd floor of a New York skyscraper in a horrific freak accident in 1990.

And Eric Clapton has opened up on his heart-rending grief in the aftermath of the tragedy, revealing he flew to Antigua to spend a year living as a recluse.

Legend - Caribbean - Island - Songs - Attempt

The musical legend, 72, isolated himself on the Caribbean island and threw himself into writing songs in a desperate attempt to 'heal' himself.

Eric opened up about his grieving process in an interview with presenter Liz Barnes for Planet Rock, to speak about the film A Life in 12 Bars, which documents his life.

Conor - Window - Cleaner - Manhattan - Mother

Conor died in 1990 when he fell out of a window that a cleaner left open in the Manhattan flat his mother, Italian model Lory Del Santo was renting.

Recalling the gut-wrenching days after Conor's death, Eric said: 'I brought him home from New York with all of the Italian side of his mother's family and we went through the process of the funeral.'

Cottage - Antigua - Year - Guitar - World

He explained that after the funeral, he rented a cottage in Antigua, where he spent almost a year playing his guitar and barely communicating with the outside world.

'When they left, I had this little Spanish string guitar, I became attached to that I went off to Antigua and I rented a little cottage there in a community and I just swatted mosquitos all day and played this guitar and stayed there for almost a whole year, without much contact with the outside world, and I tried to heal myself,' he said.

Songs - Sort - Move - Surface

'All I could do was play and write these songs and I re-wrote and re-performed them again and again and again and again until I felt like I had made some sort of move towards the surface...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!