Bonhoeffer at the End of Life: Bonhoeffer, Evangelicals and Pastor Mike Hayes.

Uncommon God, Common Good | 1/12/2018 | Staff
Coraav (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/uncommongodcommongood/files/2018/01/10balmer-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

The following is an interview with Pastor Mike Hayes. I first heard of Mike from John Walter Matthews, former President of the International Bonhoeffer Society, English Language Section. John informed me that Mike is a retired pastor working on a book on Bonhoeffer for evangelicals. So, who’s Mike? In answer to the question, Mike packed 55 years of his life as a follower of Jesus into one paragraph:

“I live in Red Wing MN, retired after ten years as a pastor in Blaine and 16 as a pastor in Fargo. When I finished Fuller Seminary in 68, I joined IVCF staff and was campus staff/Area Director in Hawaii for ten years. The greatest influences in my theology were several IV staff members, as well as Ray Anderson as Pastor, Professor (at Fuller), and Friend. Writers would have to be John Stott in my early years, then Henri Nouwen, and especially Eugene Peterson. My favorite ministry over the years has been leading Bible studies for as few as one or as many as 70-80 at a time. I’ve done that here in the US, of course, but also a number of times in a Bible college in eastern Russia, often with Muslim followers of Jesus in Bangkok, and a few times with American missionaries in Europe. Probably half of those have been in the Gospel of Mark, which has probably also occupied about half my own personal study time.”

Interview

Here’s the interview:

Paul Louis Metzger (PLM): Your assessment of Bonhoeffer’s writings at the end of his life (such as his Letters and Papers from Prison) differs from Eric Metaxas’s assessment in his biography Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. How so?

Mike - Hayes - MH - Problems - Metaxas

Mike Hayes (MH): I have three major problems with Metaxas’s biography. The first problem is that he appears to be unacquainted with most of Bonhoeffer’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Uncommon God, Common Good
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: