A Portrait of Jesus the Preacher and Teacher

Community in Mission | 1/10/2018 | Msgr. Charles Pope
jollyjetta (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://blog.adw.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Sermon-Henrik-Olrik2.jpg

As a priest, I am called to preach and teach. In this, I must look to Jesus Christ as my model. Scripture speaks of His renown as a preacher and the eagerness with which many heard Him.

And when Jesus finished these sayings, the crowds were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes (Mat 7:28).

Sent - Temple - Guard - Man - Jn

Sent to arrest him the temple guard returned empty handed saying: No one ever spoke like that man (Jn 7:46).

And all spoke well of him, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth (Luke 4:22).

People - Mark

And the common people heard him gladly (Mark 12:37).

Let’s consider some of the qualities of Jesus as a teacher and ponder the sort of balance that He manifests. What follows is not brief and I have compiled it over the years. Even if you just glance at the red highlights and read what interests you, I pray you will find some benefit.

Authority - Scriptures - Authority - Jesus - Taught

I. His authority – The Scriptures often speak of the “authority” with which Jesus taught. For example, Scripture says of Jesus, he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law (Mat 7:29). Indeed, the teachers of Jesus’ time played it safe, quoting only reputable authorities in a wooden sort of way. Jesus, however, taught with authority.

The Greek word translated as “authority” is exousia, meaning to teach out of (one’s own) substance, to speak to the substance of what is taught. Jesus would often say, “You have heard that is was said … but I say to you” (cf. Mat 5 inter al). Jesus spoke from His experience of knowing His Father and from knowing and cherishing the Law and its truth in His own life. He brought a personal weight to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Community in Mission
Wake Up To Breaking News!