Movies for Future Women

The Gregorian Institute | 1/8/2018 | View posts by Tom
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i2.wp.com/www.thegregorian.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/women-hero.jpg?fit=740,444&ssl=1

People imitate what they see. That is my guiding principle when choosing movies for children and teens (and adults, too, truth be told). So I don’t show them what I don’t want them to imitate, and I try to go out of my way to find stories they should imitate.

I already shared movies that I don’t mind my boys trying to imitate. This time, I share a “dad’s list for girls” — with a lot of input from my own wife and daughters.

Daughters - Romances - Girls - Bodies - Womanhood

I don’t want my daughters to imitate high-drama teen romances. I don’t want them to imitate girls who use their bodies to get what they want. And I don’t want them to imitate those who reduce womanhood to an imitation of male action heroes or cutthroat competitors.

I do want them to imitate the virtues of femininity that St. John Paul II calls “feminine genius.”

Couple - Notes - List

A couple of notes on this list:

Why is your favorite missing? These are movies I (or my wife or daughters) have watched. If Hoopeses haven’t watched it, it isn’t here. If these categories are helpful, let me know movies I missed, at thoopes@benedictine.edu.

Movies - Girls - Others - Teens - Always

What ages? There are some movies here for young girls; others are for older teens. Always preview movies, double-check yourself with the IMDb parents reviews and/or KidsInMind.com — and use your discretion.

First: We want girls to be realistically fearless (and/or encouraging).

Girls - World - Goals - Life - Stream

Girls need to learn they can grapple with the world and accomplish their goals in life. But they don’t need the endless stream of movies that show girls effortlessly triumphing alone like superheroes. So here I share movies about women triumphing through their own strength, with help from others; notably God.

Second: Girls should show “emotional virtue.”

Term - Sarah - Swafford - Living - Girls

This is the term Sarah Swafford coined for the drama-free living we want from girls. We don’t want...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gregorian Institute
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: