Roman but not Catholic— Part Seven

The Bible and Culture | 1/12/2018 | Staff
kringkring (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/bibleandculture/files/2017/12/unnamed.jpg

In this and the following post, I will give some of my own reflections prompted by this book. I think it is a very important book, indeed the one most serious criticism of the book is that I could have wished for more on two fronts: 1) more dealing with the relevant Biblical texts which Roman Catholics uses to justify their ecclesiology and sacramental praxis, and 2) a chapter on the saints. Ken Collins has remarked to me that they were concerned about the book getting too long, and I understand that, but perhaps we can have a 2nd edition which will do more. In any case, even as it is with certain deficiencies, it is a very important book, which sets out to and accomplishes its mission and intent, and I would urge all good Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox to read it quite carefully and prayerfully. It is not a scree nor is it a critique of those who don’t know the Catholic Church very well. Indeed Ken Collins grew up in the Catholic church and went through parochial education growing up in New York.

The first thing I would add to the discussion is a brief summary of ‘how it is that the church which had no priests, no sacrifice of the Mass, no popes, no icons’ in the first century A.D. became a church which had all of these things and more.

First - NT - Something - Hierarchy - Leadership

First of all the NT does speak of something of a hierarchy of leadership of apostles, their co-workers, elders, deacons, and later ‘overseers’ (whom we call episkopoi) but: 1) it is not a gender specific matter (there was at least one apostle named Junia (Rom. 16) and various women deacons (e.g. Phoebe in Rom. 16) and various other women leading house churches such as Lydia or the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Bible and Culture
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If the Government could just stop...
Tagged: