A Primer on Theocracies

Blog & Mablog | 1/10/2018 | Douglas Wilson
JimmyJoe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dougwils.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Handmaids-Tale.jpg

INTRODUCTION:

A number of years ago, John Piper was being given some grief for having anything to do with me, and he was handling some hot grounders on the subject. In one Q & A, the topic came up (and I think the issue was something federal-visiony), and so he answered the question. He said that he thought I was mistaken on some of these things “but they were the kind of mistakes you would expect a Presbyterian to make.”

Jab - Case - Opportunity - Russell - Moore

That is what I call an exquisite jab, and so naturally I must have remembered it in case I ever had the opportunity to repurpose it. Now that Russell Moore has written on why theocracy is so terrible, I think I have my opportunity. This is a significant mistake, but it is the kind of mistake you might expect a Baptist to make.

Now please note that I am not saying that all Baptists make this mistake, but rather that this is the kind of mistake that kind of cuts with a certain kind of Baptist grain. Now I say this with a good deal of sympathy with the Baptists on this. I fully understand why any historically-informed Baptist, overhearing us talk about our theocratic plans—“won’t it be great?—might notice that his left eye was starting to twitch. In the great experiment of Reformation Christendom, Baptists were sometime treated like a rented mule, and so theocracy talk has been known to give them the jim jams. I get that. But take the very worst Reformation-era inimical-to-Baptists civil order and compare it to what we have going here right this very minute. 50 million unborn children slaughtered? Marriage made into a cartoon travesty by Supreme Court rulings? David has slain his hundreds; Saul his tens of millions.

Sympathies

So with all my sympathies cordially extended, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Blog & Mablog
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!