Original text

spectrummagazine.org | 1/11/2018 | Staff
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Social media feeds across the country recently blew up with countless #MeToo postings. While many came from A-list celebrities, did you notice how many seemed to be posted by friends, colleagues, and family members?

I've thought a lot about how to respond. Or whether I should even join the conversation. Like too many others my life has been ravaged by sexual abuse, but it’s not something I enjoy talking about. I’m not an activist by nature. In the past I’d managed to avoid the issue for decades, knowing that, once I acknowledged it, I’d have to deal with the shattering impact it’d had on my life. Back in those days it was hard enough to just get through the day. As a pastor’s wife, raising two young children, I didn’t have time for a crisis. Besides, nothing would change the fact that it had happened — so why reopen old wounds, right?

Thing - Crises - Knock - Door - Door

Funny thing about crises. If you keep ignoring their knock on your door they will eventually break the door down. The day my door caved in I fell to my knees sobbing beside my bed. When I turned to my Bible it literally opened to 2 Kings 20:5. God spoke directly to me: “Thus says the Lord, the God of your father David, ‘I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; behold, I will heal you.’” I came undone. And for the first time I was able to whisper, “Me too, Lord.”

It was a hard-won victory. Not a fist-pumping celebration. Rather, a brokenhearted recognition I’d survived unspeakable things. After being in denial for so long, just being able to say #MeToo was incredibly healing. I felt empowered and no longer bound by the power of the Secret.

Person - Today - Victory

If you are that person today please know I celebrate your victory...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: