I’m a Mormon, and The New York Times Needlessly Defamed My Church’s Leader

The Daily Signal | 1/11/2018 | Staff
kringkring (Posted by) Level 4

Thomas S. Monson, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, passed away last week at the age of 90.

Revered as a prophet by the approximately 16 million Mormons scattered across the globe, Monson devoted his life to serving God and his fellow men.

Sadness - New - York - Times - Passing

So it was with great sadness that I read the New York Times headline announcing his passing, which cast him in a completely unfair light.

The Times wrote: “Thomas Monson, the president of the Mormon Church who rebuffed demands to ordain women as priests and refused to alter church opposition to same-sex marriage, died Tuesday at 90.”

Headline - Fidel - Castro - Death - Castro

Compare this to the headline announcing Fidel Castro’s death: “Fidel Castro, the Cuban revolutionary who defied the U.S., died Friday. He was 90.”

Or Hugh Heffner’s headline: “Hugh Heffner has died at 91. He founded Playboy magazine in 1953 and became inseparable from his brand.”

New - York - Times - Obituary - Man

The New York Times used an obituary of a man who served his entire life with love to push a political message. In doing so, The Times demonstrated why many Americans cannot and do not take the publication seriously.

Monson was first called as a bishop of the church in his early twenties and served in the church from that time forward. He traveled the globe, administering to the weary and spreading the good word of Christ to all who would listen.

Construction - Mormon - Temple - Iron - Curtain

He was even instrumental in the construction of a Mormon temple behind the Iron Curtain in Eastern Germany, taking the church to areas of the world where it had been restricted.

Monson was best known for his charitable acts. As a young leader in Salt Lake City, the congregation which he oversaw included more than 80 widows. Monson made it a personal endeavor to regularly visit each and every widow to make sure their needs were met.

Monson

Under Monson’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If the Government could just stop...