CAN YOU SPOIL KIDS WITHOUT SPOILING THEM?

Parent Cue | 5/27/2014 | Holly Crawshaw
jster97 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/can_you_spoil.jpg

My daughters are spoiled. And to a certain degree, I’m okay with that.

But here’s what I know—there’s a line between a “spoiled” child and an “entitled” child. And that’s a line I have not always navigated with precision. In fact, I have given in to whining too often, and made many ill-advised purchases/downright stupid decisions all in the name of “giving my kids more than what I had growing up.”

Now—let - Assure - Husband - Class - Employees

Now—let me assure you that my husband and I are tucked well within the “middle class” demographic. We are both fulltime employees who also hustle our trade on the side in our “free” time (you know, when the rest of the world is sleeping). We’ve collected no windfalls, inheritances, or lotto wins.

We have a budget.

But sometimes, I spend like we don’t.

About seven months ago, we moved our family across the county and bought a much smaller home. It was during said move that I realized just how much JUNK we owned. So much so that we had to rent a dumpster just to get rid of it all.

Dumpster

And after we filled up that dumpster . . .

WE HAD TO ORDER ANOTHER ONE.

Dumpsters - Trips - Landfill - Indulgences

Two dumpsters and several trips to the landfill later, and I was completely disgusted with myself and my indulgences.

We decided then and there that our family had to make a change. We had to minimize. For the sake of our bank account and the sake of our hearts. I realized that I was justifying a lot of my spending because it was for the kids. They “need” stuff—right?!

Impulse - Brand - Toy - Outfit - Kids

So I did a little soul-searching. I realized that often, when I have the impulse to purchase that brand, or that toy, or that outfit for my kids, I did it for one of three reasons:

1. Because it’s easier to say yes to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: