Kurds pay their respects as bodies of two British men who died after going to Syria to fight against ISIS arrive back at Heathrow

Mail Online | 1/11/2018 | Sebastian Murphy-bates For Mailonline
SweetStuff33 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/10/19/47FCC65200000578-0-image-a-23_1515612360107.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/01/10/3302620041043528130/1024x576_MP4_3302620041043528130.mp4

The bodies of two British men killed in Syria after they went to support the Kurdish fight against Islamic State have been repatriated to the UK.

Sniper Jac Holmes and Oliver Hall, both 24, died one month apart last year while serving with the Kurdistan People's Protection Units (YPG) in Raqqa.

Bodies - Kurds - Relatives - Heathrow - Airport

Their bodies were welcomed by Kurds and grieving relatives after they were flown into Heathrow Airport this afternoon, following a day-long delay due to paperwork issues.

As they left in private ambulances, a main road was closed briefly to allow the families and members of the Kurdish community to hold a pause for silence, pay their respects, lay flowers and make speeches.

Mr - Hall - YPG - Months - November

Mr Hall had been serving with the YPG for almost four months when he died on November 25 after being fatally injured in an explosion.

His mother, Jane Lyndon, and his stepfather, Gary Lyndon, said the 'headstrong' 24-year-old had 'found his calling' and that they had 'not seen him this happy in a long time' when he was out fighting.

Portsmouth - Area - Syria - August - Weeks

The 24-year-old, from the Portsmouth area, had travelled to Syria on August 18 and spent five weeks in an academy in Rojava, northern Syria, without his family's knowledge.

Mrs Lyndon said she last saw him when he dropped her off at work one morning.

'He - Cinema - Half - Night - Germany

She said: 'He took me to work and was supposed to be picking me up but said he couldn't because he was going to the cinema, and then at half 11 that night, he texted me and said he was in Germany and (would be) working in a refugee camp for two months.

'Then I had another text at four, five in the morning to say he was leaving the airport and he would message me when he could, and it was about four days later when he messaged me and said...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!