Teenager, 17, who suffocated himself at Reading Festival campsite sent 'I'm sorry' messages to friends and told another 'I'm going to die'

Mail Online | 1/11/2018 | Stewart Paterson For Mailonline
bluelilly (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/10/16/47FB3F4A00000578-0-image-a-49_1515601760214.jpg

A teenager messaged his friends saying 'I'm sorry ... I'm going to die' before suffocating himself with a shopping bag at Reading Festival, an inquest heard.

Matthew Jones, 17, was found by friends in his sleeping bag with a plastic carrier bag over his head at the campsite last year.

Oxford - Coroner - Court - Youngster - Snapchat

Oxford Coroner's Court head the youngster also sent a Snapchat message to pals, saying 'I'm sorry'.

He also texted a friend 'I'm going to die' and had sent an earlier Snapchat message saying: 'Tell my friends and family it's okay. I'm sorry.'

Matthew - Sleeping - Bag - Tent - Friends

Matthew was discovered blue-faced in the sleeping bag inside his tent, when his friends returned from the final act of the evening at the festival site.

But Coroner Darren Salter was unsure whether the teenager intended to take his own life.

Court - Matthew - Depression - Risk - Levels

The court heard Matthew - who had suffered from moderate depression but was not deemed high risk - had taken 'recreational' levels of ketamine and alcohol in the area before telling friends he wanted to return to the campsite.

Before leaving, he told one pal: 'If I'm high, strangle me.'

Stage - Area

He then walked off from the main stage area on his own at around 6pm.

The following morning, his friends followed him to the white zone camping area of the festival to discover the teenager's inside the sleeping bag.

Report - Inquest - Boy - Friends - Joke

In a police report read out at the inquest, the boy's friends said they had first thought he had been hiding as a joke.

But the sleeping bag was unzipped they found his face had turned blue and he was not breathing.

Efforts - Life - Paramedics - Matthew - August

Despite desperate efforts to save his life, paramedics found that Matthew was pronounced dead at 2.17am on August 28 last year.

The toxicology report issued after the teenager's death revealed he had 102mg of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood in his system at...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!