Moms of boys face mixed emotions over sexual misconduct saga

Mail Online | 1/10/2018 | Associated Press
jster97 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/1/2018/01/10/05/wire-2047178-1515561802-268_636x382.jpg

Of the many American women dismayed by the wave of sexual misconduct scandals, there's a subgroup with distinctive hopes and fears: mothers of boys.

Among them are women who have sought to raise their sons, sometimes from infancy, to shun sexist mindsets and be respectful of girls.

Mothers - Peer - Pressure - Sons - Uncertainty

Yet even some of these mothers worry about countervailing peer pressure their sons might face. And there's uncertainty as to whether their sons' generation, as adult men, will be less likely to perpetrate or condone sexual misconduct.

Danielle Campoamor, a New York-based writer and editor, has been wrestling with these questions even though her son, Matthias, is only 3.

Pressure - Years - Co-worker

She says she feels extra pressure because she was sexually assaulted five years ago by a co-worker.

'I worry what kind of man I'm raising and how he'll treat woman and girls in his life,' said Campoamor, 30, who already takes Matthias to events where sexual misconduct is discussed.

'Does - Taboo - Topic - Courage - Right

'Does he understand? No,' she said. 'But it won't be a taboo topic later on. I hope he'll have the courage to stand up for what's right.'

In a recent article for the website Romper, Campoamor wrote that the scandals provide a 'teachable moment' for her and Matthias.

'It - Responsibility - Concrete - Examples - Hears

'It is my responsibility to provide him with concrete examples of what to do, and what not to do, when he witnesses, hears about, or is a victim of sexual assault,' she wrote.

Neena Chaudry, education director for the National Women's Law Center, has taken her son, now 10, to pro and college women's basketball games in greater Washington since babyhood. Chaudry says he's now a devoted fan who extols the virtues of women's sports to other boys.

Women - Chaudry - Law - Center - Blog

'It helps him see women as strong and formidable,' Chaudry wrote for the law center's blog.

A Denver mom, Cynthia Boune, said she and her husband set out...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!