The craziest CES booth threatened me with chainsaws and soldiers

CNET | 1/10/2018 | Roger Cheng
jster97 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/lYndDV4FSuvyrtabTpfMwY6gcjs=/670x503/2018/01/10/f62a0398-7c4d-449c-b234-b6a1c63cfc19/foreo02.jpg

I'm blindfolded, my nerves tingling as the sound of a chainsaw approaches, the gas fumes wafting up my nose as it gets closer.

The chainsaw passes by, and moments later I hear a woman scream.

VR - Displays - Toilets - CES

Watch this: VR, smart displays and even smart toilets at CES 2018...

10:30

Blindfolds - Woman - Vial - Pink - Liquid

The blindfolds come off, and I'm staring at a woman who says, "I am here of my own free will," before downing a vial of pink liquid. Laser-like sounds blare as a number of colors flash, and then it goes blue as everything is silent and she retreats into a dead stare. (You can see the video here.) A mad scientist wearing a long white lab coat barks, "Nothing will be the same after this."

Would you believe this is a booth for smart beauty care products?

Test - Subject - Stare

Each test subject had to drink pink liquid out of vial before going back to a dead stare.

CES is known for the eye-popping spectacles like modular televisions or giant racing mechs, but this booth -- which less a show exhibit and more stage performance -- takes things to a whole new level. It made for one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had at a CES. With roughly 184,000 attendees and more than 4,000 exhibitors, sometimes it's worth taking that extra step to stand out.

Sip

Is it weird that I want to take a sip?

The culprit behind this madness: A Swedish beauty care company called Foreo, which pitches itself as a "smart" beauty care brand (and who isn't smart at this show?). The not-so-subtle message was this dystopian vision was analogous to how beauty care products are developed by its old-fashioned and established rivals, and that Foreo represented something new and different.

Beauty - Booth - Chairs - Trisha - Mendiola

"This is not the traditional beauty booth with white chairs," said Trisha Mendiola, head...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!