Incredible footage shows an octopus change colour in SECONDS to protect itself from predators

Mail Online | 1/9/2018 | Joe Pinkstone For Mailonline
Coraav (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/09/12/47EFC92C00000578-0-image-a-54_1515499855761.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/01/09/3256571415026777049/1024x576_MP4_3256571415026777049.mp4

An octopus has been caught on camera by a scuba diver who noticed that the sea-creature's body was changing colour.

As the camera follows the octopus around, its body can be seen lighting up in a incredible attempt to camouflage itself from potential predators.

Footage - Animal - Warning - Cameraman - Presence

The footage shows the majestic animal flashing aggressively - a warning that it felt threatened by the cameraman's presence.

As the octopus settles down on a spot further along the reef it changes colour and shrinks in size to blend seamlessly with the surrounding coral reef.

Hector - Seguin - Jr - Footage - Whilst

Hector Seguin Jr, 52, captured the footage whilst scuba diving at Ewa Pinnacles, just off the south-west coast of O'ahu, Hawaii.

Mr Seguin said: 'Whilst scuba diving I spotted this particular octopus just lying right out in the open on the reef.

'It - Front - Eyes - Creatures - World

'It was pretty incredible to see this happen right in front of my eyes - all creatures of the undersea world are amazing in their own way. '

The Hawaiian native has completed over 3,500 scuba dives and says he has never seen an octopus so close.

Animal - Camera

The colour-changing animal was caught on camera, which is usually reserved for when it feels threatened.

Octopuses are highly-intelligent beasts that have evolved to master their marine environment and are unique in the animal kingdom for many reasons - having three hearts, for example.

Camouflage - Methods - Self-preservation

Camouflage is just one of their remarkable methods of self-preservation.

Octopuses are part of the family 'cephalapods' and many of these animals have special cells called...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!