Oprah Winfrey Racism Story Is Untrue, Says Sales Clerk at Center of Media Storm (Video)

The Hollywood Reporter | 1/8/2018 | Paul Bond
morica (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2012/11/oprah_.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Cq7bI4d70

UPDATED: Meanwhile, some pundits are questioning an account they say plays too neatly into the marketing of "Lee Daniels' The Butler."

The anonymous sales clerk accused of racism by Oprah Winfrey is fighting back by way of a newspaper interview in which she says the media tycoon is lying about an incident that occurred in a Swiss store recently, and she says as a result, she has been thrust into a media-infused "nightmare” that has left her feeling "powerless."

Accusations - Shop - Girl - Sales - Newspaper

"I don’t know why she is making these accusations. She is so powerful, and I am just a shop girl," the sales clerk told the Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick, according to a translation from London’s Daily Mail.

The clerk, who has not revealed her name, was responding to a story Winfrey told last month during an interview with Larry King. Winfrey said that, while in Switzerland for Tina Turner’s wedding, a sales clerk at a boutique refused to show her a $38,000 handbag, presumably because she is black so she probably couldn’t afford it. Instead, the clerk showed her a cheaper line of "Jennifer Aniston" handbags.

Woman - Bag - Shelf - Winfrey - Interview

“I say to the woman, 'I would like to see that bag on the shelf.' And she says, 'No, that one’s too expensive. I’ll show you this one.' She did,” Winfrey says. She says in the interview it was “a really interesting incident” where she was “directly confronted” with racism. Winfrey also told the story on Entertainment Tonight. See both interviews below.

Winfrey didn’t reveal the name of the store, though journalists have since reported it was Trois Pomme in Zurich. Trudie Goetz, the head of the luxury chain, has publicly apologized to Winfrey, as has the Swiss tourism office.

Sales - Clerk - Winfrey - Story

But the anonymous sales clerk has decided to dispute Winfrey’s story.

"This is not true. This is absurd. I would never say something...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Hollywood Reporter
Wake Up To Breaking News!