How to Help Your Children Read the Bible

Desiring God | 1/8/2018 | David Murray
camkizzle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/how-to-help-your-children-read-the-bible-cxkh5iet-en/landscape/how-to-help-your-children-read-the-bible-cxkh5iet-e3c09952a755244f9f6fe1ca0c0f1c39.jpg?ts=1515017872&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

Earnest Christian parents want to help their children learn to read, understand, trust, and love the Bible. But most of us find this to be a significant, even daunting, challenge. The Bible is big and complex enough to intimidate adults. How do we help our children get to know the most important book ever assembled and begin to develop habits of enjoying it daily?

There is no simple formula for success here. Each child is different, and the Holy Spirit works in different ways and at different times with each one. But I have found certain means of grace that generally prove effective. As a parent of five children, as well as a pastor, I’ll share eight that I’ve found helpful.

Children - Bible - Invest - Children - Book

Have you ever given your children their own Bible? If they do not have one, invest in one. And buy the best Bible you can afford, one your children will enjoy picking up and looking at, one that communicates how special and valuable this book is.

Bible publishers produce beautiful Bibles with quality covers and paper. You might consider a children’s study Bible. Crossway has just published the Illuminated Bible, and as soon as my teens saw it, they all wanted to hold it, flip through it, and read it.

Children - Value - Beauty - Quality - Message

Give your children a Bible that exudes value, beauty, and quality, one that sends its own powerful message.

Having said that, the best of Bibles will eventually just sit on a dusty shelf if our children don’t see us reading our own Bibles consistently, enthusiastically, and joyfully.

Child - Father - Anyone - Grandmother - Habit

As a child, I could never understand why my father would get up long before anyone else just to read his Bible before going to work. I also remember puzzling over my sick grandmother’s habit of reading her Bible at every opportunity. Why would anyone who’s so old...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It had only one fault, it was useless.
Tagged: