Not-So-Little Black Dresses

Irreverin | 1/8/2018 | Staff
j.moomin (Posted by) Level 3
“I’m not usually into award shows… but I watched every minute of the Golden Globes last night.” Variations of this sentiment spread widely across my newsfeed today, and I echo it. While I usually flip around or come and go during these things, last night was different. I was all in. I even (confession) sent my kids to be early, because they were distracting me from something that felt like a real-time revolution. From the opening monologue to the acceptance speeches, to Oprah’s fiery sermon, the night carried a unified message to the patriarchy: Time’s Up.

A few highlights, in case you missed it:

Amy - Poehler - Punch-line - Seth - Mansplaining

Amy Poehler who riffed on how she didn’t need a set-up to deliver a punch-line; then proved as much to be true, while accusing Seth of mansplaining.

The Handmaid’s Tale, Big Little Lies, Lady Bird, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. All feature strong women characters at the center of the story line, as well as an assortment of women writers, producers and directors.

Oprah - Cecil - B - DeMille - Award

And then there was Oprah, who received the Cecil B. DeMille award. She is the first woman of color to receive this honor, and her acceptance speech absolutely brought the house down. If you catch up on nothing else from the evening, read or watch her speech. Which is easy enough to do, since it is basically breaking the internet today.

On the heels of that thunderous applause, Natalie Portman came to the mic to present nominees for best director. Throwing some wicked and well-timed shade, she said “and the ALL MALE nominees are…” Some of her colleagues laughed uncomfortably, while others cringed or groaned at the irony. In a night devoted almost entirely to elevating women’s voices, Portman’s message to her peers was significant: Hollywood is still a (pretty big)...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Irreverin
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: