Woman, 55, dies after eating raw oysters and contracting flesh-eating bacteria

Mail Online | 1/8/2018 | Ashley Collman For Dailymail.com
j.moomin (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/08/14/47E7346C00000578-0-image-a-25_1515422421549.jpg

A 55-year-old woman died in October after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria on a trip to visit friends and family in Louisiana.

Jeanette LeBlanc got sick after going crabbing and then eating raw oysters that she and a friend picked up from a market in Westwego.

Friend - Karen - Bowers - KLFY - LeBlanc

Her friend Karen Bowers told KLFY that LeBlanc became sick after the two of them ate the raw oysters.

At first, she says it looked like her friend was having an allergic reaction.

LeBlanc - Condition - Hours

But LeBlanc's condition worsened in the next 48 hours and she was hospitalized.

Doctors diagnosed LeBlanc with vibriosis.

'It - Bacteria - Wounds - Legs - Bacteria

'It's a flesh-eating bacteria. She had severe wounds on her legs from that bacteria,' LeBlanc's partner Vicki Bergquist said.

According to the CDC, people can contract vibriosis from brakish water or eating raw oysters....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!