UN Ambassador Nikki Haley: 'A Lot of Things Have to Happen' Before the U.S. Talks to N. Korea

CNS News | 1/8/2018 | Staff
hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/capture-haley_3.jpg

(CNSNews.com) - "A lot of things have to happen" before the United States holds direct talks with North Korea, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley said on Sunday.

She was reacting to comments made by President Donald Trump over the weekend.

Reporters - Camp - David - Saturday - Trump

Speaking to reporters at Camp David on Saturday, Trump said he is very happy that North and South Korea will hold their first formal talks in two years: "I hope it works out. I very much want to see it work out between the two countries. I'd like to see them (North Korea) getting involved in the Olympics, and maybe things go from there," Trump said.

Asked if he would be willing to engage in telephone talks with North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un right now, Trump replied, "Sure, I always believe in talking."

October - President - Trump - Secretary - State

But last October, President Trump tweeted that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was "wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man."

"So why the turnaround?" George Stephanopoulos, host of ABC's "This Week," asked Ambassador Haley on Sunday.

Turnaround - Haley

"There is no turnaround," Haley said.

"What he has basically said is yes, there could be a time where we talk to North Korea, but a lot of things have to happen before that actually takes place. They have to stop testing. They have to be willing to talk about banning their nuclear weapons. Those things have to happen.

Years - Table - Lot - Money - Way

"What we're trying to do is make sure we don't repeat what's happened the last 25 years, which is them start to act like they're coming to the table; them ask for a lot of money and then them cheat their way through. We're going to be smart this time. We're going to make sure that whatever happens makes the United States safer and make sure that we denuclearize the peninsula."

Haley said progress regarding North...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!