Mother is found guilty of murdering her adoptive daughter, 16, who starved to death and weighed just 85lbs when she died in an adult diaper

Mail Online | 12/15/2017 | Jennifer Smith For Dailymail.com
penaert (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/12/15/14/475C78B800000578-0-image-a-2_1513347172228.jpg

The adoptive mother of a teenage girl who starved to death and weighed just 85lbs when she died has been found guilty of her murder.

Nicole Finn was convicted in court in Des Moines, Iowa, on Thursday of murdering her adoptive daughter Nathalie.

Nathalie - Linoleum - Floor - Home - Adult

Nathalie was found languishing on a linoleum floor of their cat-ridden home wearing an adult diaper in October 2016. She died in hospital several days later from a heart attack brought on by severe emaciation.

Nicole, 43, and her husband Joseph were both arrested on child cruelty charges at the time and the other teenagers they had adopted were removed from their care.

Pair - Time - Nathalie - Death - Together

The pair were living separately at the time of Nathalie's death but had adopted her together years earlier.

On Thursday, Nicole was convicted of first degree murder, kidnapping and child endangerment.

January - Life - Minimum - Iowa

She will be sentenced in January but is likely to be imprisoned for life, the mandatory minimum in Iowa.

After the verdict was returned, Assistant Polk County Attorney Bret Lucas said: 'In 18 years of being a prosecutor, this is the worst case I've ever seen.'

Lawyers - Reality

Her lawyers attempted to argue that she was detached from reality.

Joseph was not living in the home when Nathalie died. He has been charged with child neglect, child endangerment and kidnapping and is due to appear in court in January.

Charges

He has pleaded not guilty to all three charges.

During the trial, prosecutors argued that Nicole was more concerned with the animals in the home than she was for the three adoptive teenagers.

Children - Home

They were among five children living at the home and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!