From Belfast to Broadway: Rising boxer Michael 'Mick' Conlan - who famously flipped off Olympic judges - finds a home among New York's Irish

Mail Online | 12/9/2017 | Alex Raskin Sports News Editor For Dailymail.com
red815 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/12/08/22/4720AD0F00000578-0-image-a-12_1512771157541.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2016/08/16/1708716061897149713/1024x576_MP4_1708716061897149713.mp4

Rising boxer Michael 'Mick' Conlan is in New York for what he estimates is 'the fifth or sixth time' in his young life.

A native of Belfast, Northern Ireland who represented Ireland in the Olympics, Conlan actually launched his professional career in New York last St. Patrick's Day, scoring a knockout win over Tim Ibarra in front of a sold-out crowd at Madison Square Garden's Theater – the 5,500-seat venue abutting the main 20,000-seat arena.

Conlan - Theater - Saturday - Night - Face

Conlan will be at 'The Theater' again on Saturday night to face Luis Fernando Molina as part of the undercard of ESPN's world super featherweight title bout between Ukraine's Vasyl Lomachenko and Cuba's Guillermo Rigondeaux.

And as for next St. Patrick's Day, Conlan's promoter Top Rank already has the venue reserved for the two-time Olympian and a yet-to-be named opponent.

Rank - Years - Conlan - Dailymail - Com

'Top Rank booked it for the next five years, they said,' Conlan told Dailymail.com from his midtown Manhattan hotel room overlooking MSG. 'I think maybe 2019, 2020, I'll have the big [arena at the] Garden sold out.'

Legendary promoter and Top Rank CEO Bob Arum didn't quite confirm that – 'I'm 86, so I don't look that far [ahead]' – but he does foresee a kind of residency in New York for his young pupil.

Arum - Math

To Arum, the math is pretty simple.

Conlan had the Irish world in his corner during the 2016 Rio Games, where he lost a controversial decision in the quarterfinals. But since the Emerald Isle has only a fraction of the world's Irish population, Arum needed to bring Conlan to the Irish diaspora, most of which resides on different continents: North America and Australia.

People - United - States - World - Irish

'I think being Irish never hurts because there are so many people in the United States, around the world, who identify as being of Irish heritage' Arum told Dailymail.com.

According to the 2013 census, 34.5 million...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!