It’s Time To Bring Faith And Forgiveness Into The Sexual Assault Conversation

The Federalist | 12/7/2017 | Lauren Ashburn
tiazanne (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Bernie_Sanders_and_Matt_Lauer.jpg

As I’ve listened to the parade of mighty media men apologize for the endless iterations of sexual misconduct that cost them their jobs, one thing has been strikingly missing. Not one has talked about his faith.

Matt Lauer said he was “truly sorry” and “ashamed.” Charlie Rose said he was “greatly embarrassed” and “acted insensitively.” Mark Halperin said he had been “selfish” and “immature.” But, like the entertainers and politicians also offering calculated displays of remorse, there was not a prayer among them.

World - Gods - Kingdoms - Rules - Flock

That isn’t surprising. In their world, they are treated like gods. They rule their kingdoms. They make their own rules, they preach to their flock on the airwaves, and others kowtow to them. Many, including women, are complicit in keeping them on their pedestal, making them seem so much more than merely human until they come crashing down like fallen idols.

Now, perhaps most of them haven’t mentioned faith because they’re not particularly religious. Maybe they fear being accused of using faith as a cover for wrongdoing. But for all the handwringing about media and morality, God has been largely missing from the conversation. While Time’s Person of the Year honors the “silence breakers”—the women who are now speaking out—there has been far less focus on the men who created this toxic culture.

Arena - Inside - Television - Executive - Chest

I know this hypercharged arena from the inside. A top television executive once stared at my chest during a job interview. A top television personality once told me, with little subtlety, that I needed him to give me career-boosting exposure. The business rewards good looks and alluring wardrobes, and I had to be mindful of that. Sometimes the flirtations and locker room talk were hard to reconcile with my Catholic faith.

Every friend I know has had similar experiences. One was told she could have a job if she...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Federalist
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!