DC-area drivers blast I-66 tolling system as fees hit $40 mark

Fox News | 12/7/2017 | Staff
kimberly163 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/us/2017/12/05/dc-area-drivers-blast-66-tolling-system-as-fees-hit-40-mark/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/0/0/1512493573238.jpg?ve=1

At 8:12 a.m. local time Tuesday, it cost $40 to travel this stretch of Interstate-66 heading into Washington, D.C..

Outraged Washington, D.C.-area commuters and politicians took to social media Tuesday to blast a new tolling scheme on a busy interstate heading from Virginia into the nation’s capital, as fees along the route peaked to an eye-popping $40 during the morning rush hour.

Interstate-66 - Tolling - Plan - Monday - Lanes

The Interstate-66 tolling plan, which launched Monday, opens up express lanes on the highway in northern Virginia to single drivers, as opposed to just carpoolers. But the sticker shock prices being posted on electronic signs along the roadway led some commuters and residents to give the roadway a new nickname.

“This is #highwayrobbery. People are just trying to get to work. What happened to a government FOR THE PEOPLE. I'm appalled,” one user wrote on Twitter.

Name - I-

“Just go ahead & change its name to I-$66," said another.

The Virginia Department of Transportation – which has touted the project as giving commuters “new and improved travel choices” – did not respond to multiple requests for comment from Fox News on Tuesday.

Tolls - Effect - Am - Time - Eastbound

The tolls are in effect from 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. local time eastbound, and 3:00 p.m. to 7 p.m. westbound. It is free for drivers at all other times.

All vehicles using the toll lanes must have a $35 E-ZPass device to pay the cashless tolls or one set to “HOV” (high-occupancy vehicle) mode to earn the free rides. Motorcycles are exempt.

Algorithm - Congestion - Congestion - Toll - Increases

“It’s dynamically priced…basically that’s an algorithm that measures congestion, and as the congestion increases the toll increases, and as the congestion goes down, the toll decreases,” Virginia Department of Transportation Tolling Division Administrator David...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Fox News
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!