Here’s The Complete Transcript Of Sen. Al Franken’s Tribute To David Letterman That Got Cut From The ‘Kennedy Center’ Broadcast

Decider | 11/20/2017 | Staff
hi09 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://nypdecider.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/letterman-franken-mark-twain.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1156

MORE ON:

Bill Maher & Chelsea Handler Go Easy On Al Franken On 'Real Time'

Donald - Trump - Slammed - Celeb - Apprentice

Donald Trump Slammed By 2012 Celeb Apprentice Contestant Penn Jillette On 'Bill Maher'

Tonight, your local PBS affiliate will be airing the Kennedy Center special honoring David Letterman with the 20th Annual Mark Twain Prize for Humor. You’ll see comedy stars like Jimmy Kimmel, Norm Macdonald, Bill Murray, Amy Schumer, John Mulaney, and more fete the late night titan with speeches in his honor. What you won’t see is what embattled Senator Al Franken had to say. The former Saturday Night Live writer and performer’s tribute was cut from the broadcast in the wake of the allegations that he conducted sexual misconduct. Decider received an advance press screener of the event that still included Franken’s segment. So what did you miss?

Martin - Short - Number - Letterman - Contributions

After a Martin Short musical number enumerating Letterman’s various “big” contributions to the late night genre, Senator Franken was going to be introduced as “a man who was just crowned Mr. Deep State 2017,” before welcoming his comedy friends to Washington, DC and launching into his speech:

“Do not for one minute think that what you do is any less important than what I do here in Washington even though it is. Now, many of you associate me with the fifteen seasons I did at Saturday Night Live. Some seasons were better than others and the 1985-1986 season was not one of our best. And I was one of the producers so I got a call from the TV critic at The Philadelphia Inquirer and she says to me, ‘Why doesn’t Saturday Night Live do risky material like the Letterman show?’ So I ask her if she could give me an example of something that David was doing on his show that was risky. You know, comedically risky, which...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Decider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
How's that peak oil working out for you?