Hospice volunteer reunited with Vietnam co-pilot days before death

FOX31 Denver | 11/8/2017 | Jeremy Hubbard
jenn1020 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://localtvkdvr.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/veteran.jpeg?quality=85&strip=all&w=1200

DENVER -- For 10 months now, David Stevenson has volunteered at Denver Hospice, helping people whose loved ones are at the end of the their life.

"Over and over I hear folks leave and they're saying 'What do we do now?' And my response is, "I have no idea, but we`re going to do it together,'" Stevenson said.

Weeks - Surprise - Air - Force - Veteran

A few weeks back, a surprise awaited the old Air Force veteran when he arrived at the hospice.

"I showed up one Tuesday afternoon and checked the patient list, and I saw a Jim Geist on the list. And I thought, 'Boy, that name's familiar,'" Stevenson said.

Jim - Geist - Years - Vietnam - War

He remembered a Jim Geist from about 50 years ago during the Vietnam War when they were co-pilots.

"In the eight months I was in Vietnam, we probably flew together five or six times," Stevenson said.

Come - Jim - Geist - Colorado - Fact

Come to think of it, that Jim Geist was also from Colorado. In fact, their parents had been neighbors around the time David was shot down over Laos in 1969.

"And when I was in the hospital, Jim came home for R-and-R, and while he was here in Denver, he drove out to see my folks and assure them that I was going to be OK," Stevenson said.

Lifetime - Touch - Guy

But that was all a lifetime ago. They'd lost touch. Certainly, this couldn't be the same guy. Or could it?

A hospice nurse soon delivered the surprise of a lifetime.

Wednesday - Geist - Wife - Phone - Number

"And I came back on Wednesday, and she said, 'Yes, that's the same Geist, and I got his wife's phone number and she wants us to call her," he said.

That call led to a reunion at...
(Excerpt) Read more at: FOX31 Denver
Wake Up To Breaking News!
2KXVI