Boaty McBoatface has a new friend! Sydney harbour boat is named Ferry McFerryface after public vote

Mail Online | 11/14/2017 | Sara Malm for MailOnline
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/14/08/464E867C00000578-0-image-a-11_1510648859953.jpg

Sydney's latest harbour boat has been christened Ferry McFerryface, a decision which has caused outrage among staff with many refusing to work on the boat.

The Australian public had been asked to help name six new Sydney ferries, and although Ferry McFerryface lost out to 'Boaty McBoatface', this had already been picked in Britain for a polar research ship last year.

Ferry - McFerryface - Risks - Name - Union

But Ferry McFerryface risks being left stranded, after its name angered union workers, who say it makes a mockery of public transport.

The New South Wales government received more than 15,000 suggestions for six cross harbour vessels in a ferry-naming competition.

Vessels - Names - Figures - Doctors - Victor

While five of the vessels will receive names honouring respected local figures, including the late doctors Victor Chang and Fred Hollows, and gynaecologist Catherine Hamlin, the sixth is less traditional.

Next most popular was 'Boaty McBoatface', followed by 'Ferry McFerryface', the government said.

Authorities - Vote - Boaty - Choice - Lack

Australian authorities said they planned to comply with the public vote, albeit passing on Boaty as the first choice, given the lack of originality.

'We asked Sydney to name their new ferries, and we have listened. Ferry McFerryface will be the harbour's newest icon, and I hope it brings a smile to the faces of visitors and locals alike,' NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!