State Media: ‘Obviously’ China Wants Trump Out of South China Sea

Breitbart | 11/14/2017 | Staff
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://media.breitbart.com/media/2017/11/china.png

The Chinese government’s media arm has reacted with outrage to President Donald Trump’s offer to mediate talks between the various claimants in the South China Sea, where Beijing has dedicated years to constructing sophisticated military outposts in Philippine and Vietnamese waters.

Trump made the offer to mediate to President Tran Dai Quang while in Vietnam attending the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit last week.

Tuesday - Global - Times - State - Outlet

On Tuesday, the Global Times, a Chinese state outlet, published a column accusing Trump of making a “boastful offer” that could destabilize the region, which Beijing alleges is currently peaceful despite growing alarm from the Philippines, Brunei, Taiwan, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Malaysia that China may box them out of their own sovereign waters.

The Times argues that Trump received a “tepid response” from both Vietnam and the Philippines for his offers, and that China has no desire to involve him in the matter, “obviously.”

Washington - South - China - Sea - Issue

“Washington has already been too active in the South China Sea issue,” the column goes on. “During the Obama era, US intervention in South China Sea affairs reached a climax. It is unknown if Trump’s self-recommendation is a result of his impulsive style or comes from careful consideration of the issues.”

The piece concludes that the United States is the source of all tensions in the region and warns rival claimants in the region that they do not want “to fall into the orbit of colluding with the U.S. and countering China.”

Trump - Conversation - Leader - Mediator - Way

Trump had offered in conversation with the Vietnamese leader to serve as a mediator. “If I can help in any way, I’m a very good mediator and a very good arbitrator,” Trump said, adding, “I have done plenty of it from both sides. So if I can help you, let me know.”

In its official response, the Chinese Foreign Ministry abstained from insulting Trump’s alleged “impulsive”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep
Tagged: