Nelson DeMille Presents A ‘Cuban Affair’ To Remember

The Federalist | 11/10/2017 | Paul Rowan Brian
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Screen-Shot-2017-11-09-at-10.38.08-PM.png

Nelson DeMille’s new novel, The Cuban Affair, takes us on a hard-hitting adventure through modern-day Cuba and makes some memorable points about today’s tense political situation along the way. DeMille has an incredible gift for perfectly capturing a character’s voice and unique personality. His protagonist in The Cuban Affair is 35-year-old former US Army infantry officer Daniel Graham MacCormick, or Mac for short.

Originally from Portland, Maine, we meet Mac once he’s become a charter fishing boat captain in Key West, Florida. We never fully hear about Mac’s tour in Afghanistan except for some traumatic combat memories, but we’re told he has a Silver Star, two Purple Hearts, and shrapnel wounds, so DeMille makes it clear that Mac saw heavy action.

DeMille - Mac - Action - Cuban - Affair

DeMille reintroduces Mac into some abrupt, heart-racing action in The Cuban Affair. The story is told from the first-person point of view and is an action-packed, rollicking tale. After he’s approached by a group of mysterious Cuban expats in Key West, Mac gets talked into a top-secret mission to recover $60 million in U.S. cash and property deeds from a cave in Cuba that were hidden during Castro’s violent overthrow of Fulgencio Batista in 1959.

Mac feels like there’s something fishy about the whole operation, but eventually signs on, enticed in part by a beautiful Cuban-American woman, Sara, who will be his partner for the mission. DeMille showcases his humor throughout the book, such as when Sara is talking Mac into accepting the mission. They’re out on Mac’s charter boat and Sara tries to appeal to his sense of adventure and his sense of right and wrong, with mixed results:

Mac - Saying—‘ - Things - Things

“Don’t talk yourself out of this, Mac. There’s a saying—‘ I’d rather regret the things I did than the things I didn’t do.’ ”

“I actually regret both.”

“We need you. This is also about...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Federalist
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep
Tagged: