Britannia Awards: Dick Van Dyke Steals Show; Ava Du Vernay Calls Sexual Harassment “Sinful”

Deadline | 10/28/2017 | Pete Hammond
iceyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/867247154.jpg?w=605

Harvey Weinstein’s name wasn’t even uttered once at Friday night’s AMD British Academy Britannia Awards and maybe that was the biggest surprise of all in a night full of great speeches from the honorees, as well as a lot of laughs, especially from Charlie Chaplin Excellence In Comedy winner Aziz Ansari, and M.C. Jack Whitehall who completely resisted any temptation to wade into Weinstein scandal territory in his monologue. If this early awards season outing is any indication, then perhaps this will be an off-limits on-stage subject at the endless number of dinners to come in the next few months.

However, the evening wasn’t completely devoid of the topic as John Schlesinger Excellence In Directing honoree Ava Du Vernay made some potent remarks in her acceptance speech in terms of the trusted bond in making films. “I regard the bond between director and actor as sacred. I really do…so to imagine what’s been in the news the week, the harmful manipulation and harassment and emotional violence towards actors in my view is sinful. Sinful, because I’ve held the innermost feelings of an actor in my hand. I know what it means for an artist to give themselves over to you, to tell stories of our humanity. Actors give their faith, their bodies, their memories to this effort at making films,” she said.

Anyone - Someone - Enter - Space - Intent

“They give more than anyone else,” she adds. “I truly believe that. But how dare someone enter into that sacred space with an intent to harm. It is an abuse of a very sacred bond. It is unacceptable. And there are many other things that should be unacceptable… I have said it before and I will say it again. We don’t have time to work on these dark behaviors, these isms one by one. We don’t have time to be...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Deadline
Wake Up To Breaking News!