Taylor Swift's 'Gorgeous' Lyrics Decoded: Why She's Getting Drunk in a Bar (and Who She Is Pining Over)

Entertainment Tonight | 10/20/2017 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.etonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/max_1280x720/public/images/2017-10/1280_taylor_swift_gettyimages-633863134.jpg?itok=-m8Liq60

Taylor Swift is back, y'all -- and she's been drinkin'.

The Reputation singer dropped "Gorgeous," the third track off her upcoming album on Thursday night (or midnight Friday morning for you East Coasters), which continues to break from the format of her carefully crafted image as an artist.

Jam - Exercise - Alcohol - Attraction - Fatalism

The new jam is an exercise in alcohol, attraction and fatalism for the 27-year-old singer, with plenty of lyrics that, while sometimes simple on the surface, offer new clues and insight into the personal life of New Taylor.

So, if you haven't yet, fire up the lyric video below, and then let's talk about it.

Compliment/ - Drunk - Fun - Way

"You should take it as a compliment/ That I got drunk and made fun of the way you talk."

Right from the get-go, there's some interesting stuff. First, Swift has never made explicit reference to consuming alcohol before, and she does it multiple times on "Gorgeous" (in the pre-chorus she croons about drinking "Whisky" without the "e" all night). Second, she makes reference to a beau with an accent -- which sparked some debate on social media about which of Swift's current and/or former European boyfriend's this could be about -- Tom Hiddleston, Harry Styles, Calvin Harris or her new man, Joe Alwyn.

Lines

We think it's a non-debate. One of the following lines makes it very clear:

MORE: Taylor Swift Releases New Song 'Gorgeous' -- Listen!

Boyfriend - Club

And I got a boyfriend, he's older than us/ He's in the club doing, I don't know what."

Yeah, as many Swifties assumed, this song is about Alwyn. Swift's current flame is a year younger than her, and much younger than her two most recent exes. Additionally, the "club" line seems like a slight dig at Harris, the EDM star with whom she went through a particularly nasty breakup last year.

Case

Oh, and also, what basically closes the case is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Entertainment Tonight
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!