The battle of Little Britain: Explosive backstage rows. Seething jealousy over their very different fortunes. A candid new book by Matt Lucas gives a shocking insight into what he really thinks about his ex-comedy partner David Walliams

Mail Online | 10/17/2017 | Christopher Stevens for the Daily Mail
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/10/16/22/4567890800000578-0-image-a-60_1508190955057.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/bc/rtmp_uds/1418450360/2015/07/31/1418450360_4389770657001_4389669035001.mp4

The acidic American writer Gore Vidal once complained: 'Whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies.' And it's especially true of comic double acts. Every triumph showered on David Walliams is eating up Matt Lucas inside.

The two were once equals on Little Britain, the scabrous TV sketch show that won three Baftas and launched a live stage show so successful, it earned an entry in the Guinness World Records book.

Memoir - Little - Me - Life - A-Z

But the two have never been more distant, as he reveals in a memoir, Little Me: My Life From A-Z, that uncovers their explosive backstage fights as well the manic performances that made them, briefly, the most celebrated comedy duo in the country.

The book opens with an ominous splash of vitriol. 'I know things that would ruin people's careers,' he mutters in the introduction. 'I certainly know things that would finish mine.'

Readers - Attention - Hints - Asides - Gossip

He warns readers that they'll have to pay attention to hints and asides, if they want the juiciest gossip. 'I'm not looking to burn bridges,' he adds. 'You might have to read between the lines here and there. If I spill all the beans, then no one will trust me, no one will hire me.'

At 43, his career is hobbling along and he needs to keep working. As Lucas says, it's a short step from a stint in Doctor Who's Tardis, which he completed this year, to a humiliating spell in the Celebrity Big Brother house, which he ardently wishes to avoid.

Result - Autobiography - Face - Knife - Children

The result is an autobiography that tries to wear a civilised face, but cannot resist sticking in the knife. 'Walliams has now sold so many children's books,' he snipes, 'he can probably buy his own private jet, all decked out in pink, with a river inside it for him to swim up' — a swipe at the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Woof!