Course Correction

LifeWay Pastors | 10/14/2017 | LifeWay | Pastors
shuadah (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://ministry-pastors.s3.amazonaws.com/pastors/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2017/10/compass.jpg

I’m grateful to Brian Bowman for this contribution to LifeWay Pastors. Brian is founding pastor of Valley Life Churches in Phoenix, where he lives with his wife Brooke, and children (Bailey and Britton). Valley Life Churches exist to make disciples and plant churches throughout the Phoenix metro. Brian was my guest on Pastor Talk, Ep. 8, How One Small Church Started a Church Planting Network.

They say that everything rises and falls on leadership. Of course they say a lot of things, many of them true, but not all of them helpful. This is one saying that is true enough to help.

Pages - Leadership - Book - Church - Planter

I only made it through five pages of the first leadership book that my church planter coach asked me to read. We had just launched Valley Life Church in a movie theater after a year of planning, recruiting, and discipling. I remember reading a line in those first five pages that shut me down. It basically said that to lead anything is to first have a preferred future, a destination in mind. I didn’t, so I figured there was no reason to continue reading.

One of these days I may go back to that book, but those first five pages have helped our church tremendously in the five years since. Once I determined our preferred future, where the church should go, everything else felt like drifting off course. To lesser and greater degrees Valley Life has constantly drifted since we became a church, but course correction has kept to the same pattern:

Notice - Drift

1. Notice the drift.

They say that “the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing,” but again they say a lot of things and this one isn’t really that helpful. Not that it’s false, but the nature of church planting lends itself to distraction so that every...
(Excerpt) Read more at: LifeWay Pastors
0 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: