How To Respond To Handle Critics Like An Emotionally Intelligent Leader Would

CareyNieuwhof.com | 9/15/2014 | Staff
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://careynieuwhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/shutterstock_454310059.jpg

So you signed up for leadership, but you didn’t really sign up for all the criticism that came with it, did you?

And yet here you are.

Criticism - Staple - Leaders - Everything - Side

Criticism is an almost daily staple for most leaders. You get everything from side comments, to direct challenges, to people who walk out the door, to anonymous notes sent to you by people with no courage.

You dread it. I dread it. Who doesn’t?

Fact - Day - Week - Work

In fact, it can completely derail your day, your week, and your work.

So what do you do when it comes your way?

Way - Critics - Place - One - Anyone

One way to handle critics is to dream about of working in a place where no one criticizes anyone.

And, as a result, more than a few leaders have left a place of employment or ministry to find greener pastures where there won’t be as much opposition, only to be disappointed that criticism just seems to come with the territory wherever you go.

Workplaces - People - Warning - Signs - Person

Don’t get me wrong, there are some toxic workplaces and there are definitely some toxic people (here are 6 early warning signs you’re dealing with a toxic person). And there are healthy workplaces and healthy people.

But even in a healthy environment, criticism is inevitable.

Way - Critics - Nothing

The best way to avoid critics is to do nothing significant. Clearly, that’s not you.

So how do you deal with it?

Way - Critics - Nothing

The best way to avoid critics is to do nothing significant.

The problem for me with criticism is that it makes me want to respond like a toddler would.

Criticism - Day

Criticism naturally makes me defend, deny, and if I’m having a bad day, it also makes me want to retaliate.

None of that is good.

Leaders - Run - Critics - Immaturity

And if you study leaders who don’t do well in the long run, they almost always tend to respond to critics with immaturity.

This is where emotional intelligence can be a leader’s best friend. And the good news is,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CareyNieuwhof.com
10 other people are viewing this story
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: